[R-sig-Geo] R encounters fatal error in errorsarlm - sdpep package

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Oct 1 13:12:07 CEST 2013

On Tue, 1 Oct 2013, Philine Gaffron wrote:

> Thank you for the Geographical Analysis reference, very helpful. I have
> deduced that the method argument should be "Matrix" for my data rather than
> "LU", since the "W" weights are symmetric. However, I am still getting the
> warnings on non convergence and since you state that this maybe a
> specification problem, I would like to find the error.

I think that, unless you need the Hausman test from errorsarlm, just turn
it off with errorsarlm(..., control=list(returnHcov=FALSE)); the ML fit is
quite OK, it is only the Hausman test component that is giving the
warnings for the spatial coefficient close to its limits, and when using
other methods than "eigen". If you do need it and cannot use
method="eigen", increase the order until the warning (it is a warning, not
an error) goes away with errorsarlm(..., control=list(pWOrder=<big
integer>)). I have had win-builder roll up a Windows binary of the
development version with more details on the problem, on:

http://win-builder.r-project.org/5IVvaH0M3Qsj

See the examples for powerWeight, and look at the returned component for
the warnining-displaying errorsarlm fit called $pWinternal showing how
convergence failed; series needs to fall below tol for convergence.

As your n is not large, you can compare the "eigen" and "Matrix" methods
to see how the Hausman test output diverges as the approximation to the
term needed deteriorates.

The underlying problem that you have touched is (as in the sections in
Bivand et al. 2013 on approximations) that using power series to generate
the product of the inverse of the nxn (I - \rho W) matrix and an arbitrary
vector also deteriotates when \rho is near its limits.

Thanks for the detailed results; I've deleted them in this reply to save
space.

Roger

> [...]
>>> nothing further. I did receive warnings in the output, though (for several
>>> but not all of my datasets) and I am not sure what they mean / what their
>>> implications are for the results. Do I need to choose another method? The
>>> warnings in every case were:
>>>

>> See Bivand, Hauke & Kossowski (2013) Geographical Analysis for some
>> details; LU_prepermutate emulates the implementation by finding an initial
>> fill-in re-ordering, but in R has little speed-up effect, hence it is
>> turned off by default.
>>
>>> 1: In powerWeights(W = W, rho = lambda, order = con$pWOrder, X = B,:
>>> not converged within order iterations
>>>
>>> 2: In powerWeights(W = t(W), rho = lambda, order = con$pWOrder, X = C,:
>>> not converged within order iterations
>>
>> These are unusual, and may signal a mis-specified setting. The default
>> number of powers is 250, and lambda^250 is a very small number unless
>> lambda is close to its (probably upper) limit. The computation in fact only
>> affects the accuracy of the Hausman test on the difference between OLS and
>> spatial error coefficients, so may be adjusted if lambda is close to limits
>> by setting control argument pWOrder to a larger value than 250, see
>> ?powerWeights. As a symptom of lambda close to its limits, it suggests
>> mis-specification, possibly in terms of observation support, with
>> neighbouring properties sharing important drivers. This may be suggested by
>> your data scenario described below; scrutinising the intermediate objects
>> in your script may also put you on the track of things behaving in
>> unexpected ways. I would expect many observations to have no neighbours
>> with a 150m threshold, but you don't show no-neighbour control being turned
>> off.
> I removed all polygons without neighbours prior to calling errorsarlm - see
> example below.
>>
>> Hope the helps,
>>
>> Roger
>>

>>> I have not tried reproducing the error with the built-in dataset but if
>>> that is of interest to you from the point of view of spdep development, I
>>> could give it a try.

>>> The distance thresholds are in feet
>>> (NAD_1983_StatePlane_California_II_FIPS_0402_Feet) and are related to
>>> dispersion distances for road traffic emissions. For explanation: my
>>> polygons are land use parcels for which I have calculated emission loads
>>> in grams/area from traffic loads on a road network. Since I am assuming a
>>> dispersion distance of 492 feet / 150 m of emissions away from the network
>>> in the example above, I am further assuming, that parcels which are within
>>> that distance of one another are affected by the same emission sources
>>> (i.e. traffic loads on the network).

>>> I chose "S" as a variance stabilising coding schemes following Bivand,
>>> Pebesma et al. (2008), p. 253 but have now switched back to "W". Apart
>>> from the warnings cited above I encountered no more issues.
>>>
>>> Thank you for your help and for making this package available.

Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway.
voice: +47 55 95 93 55; fax +47 55 95 95 43
e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no