[R-sig-Geo] netcdf library on OS X

Andy Bunn Andy.Bunn at wwu.edu
Wed May 15 00:42:46 CEST 2013

R-Sig_Geo people:

I was a former user of RNetCDF under Windows. I've switched to Mac and all is well. Almost all. RNetCDF (reasonably) would like to have netcdf and udunits from unidata installed on the machine prior to using the RNetCDF. Correct? And, unless I am missing something basic it appears that I have to install those tools from src and not from a prebuilt binary. Is that correct? I am willing to do so but think it's unlikely that's the way most folks do it. Not to be a luddite, but isn't there a DMG with netcdf and udunits for Os X out there?

If I do install from source, looking at the docs it appears I would try something like:
tar -xzvf netcdf-4.3.0.tar.gz
cd netcdf-4.3.0
./configure --disable-netcdf-4 --enable-shared
make check install

Does that seem right?

-Andy