[R-sig-Geo] sill not reaching 1 in a climatological variogram

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Fri May 3 20:04:51 CEST 2013

Subash,

We would only expect the sample variogram to be on the variogram model
line when (a) we had an infinite number of observations, taken over (b)
an infinitely large domain.

As we don't have this in practice, sample variogram points vary around
the theoretical line. As these sample variogram points are correlated,
their fluctuation often does not look like random fluctuation -- you
described this as "a dip [...] at 50 km" in your original mail.

On 05/03/2013 05:38 PM, subash wrote:
> Thanks Edzer  for the prompt reply.
>
> Can you please elaborate on the answer two my 2 question. I could understand
> "consecutive sample variogram estimates are dependent as they share the same
> observations when forming pairs." I am aware that the same observation are
> used when forming pairs but how that would lead to the dip in the variogram.
>

> Regards,
> Subash

Edzer Pebesma
83 33081, Fax: +49 251 8339763 http://ifgi.uni-muenster.de