[R-sig-Geo] sill not reaching 1 in a climatological variogram

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Fri May 3 08:15:47 CEST 2013

On 05/02/2013 06:30 PM, subash wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I constructed a climatological variogram using 'gstat' package in R at daily
> scale using 2 monsoon(JJAS) data. The *exponential* model was with variogram
> parameters
>
> nugget - 0.04243
> psill - 0.96633
> Range - 16.88 Km
>
> <http://r-sig-geo.2731867.n2.nabble.com/file/n7583465/climat_vario.png>
>
> I have couple of questions:
>
> (1) Why is the psill not reaching 1, when the each day rain has been
> normalized?

total sill, i.e. psill + nugget are supposed to approach the variance of
the field; they seem to do so. I also believe that this only holds for
the ergodic case, where you would make your spatial domain infinite.

> (2) Why is there a dip in the variogram at 50Km?

I wouldn't see this as a structural property; consecutive sample
variogram estimates are dependent as they share the same observations
when forming pairs.

> Your help will be highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks & Regards
> Subash