[R-sig-Geo] spatio-temporal data

Tomislav Hengl hengl at spatial-analyst.net
Sun Mar 17 12:25:31 CET 2013

That is a good question (I had the same problem when I started using the
spacetime package). It is all, of course, explained in the spacetime
package vignette (http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=spacetime), but one
more time:

To create an object of any class you can always use the command "new"
(http://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-devel/library/methods/html/new.html).
For example, to create an object of type STIDF you would use:

new("STIDF", STI(sp, time, endTime), data = data)

But the creators of the spacetime package have also prepared methods
that would do that for you
(https://r-forge.r-project.org/scm/viewvc.php/pkg/R/STIDF-methods.R?view=markup&root=spacetime)
e.g.:

## load the data:
data(HRtemp08)

## format the time column:
HRtemp08$ctime <- as.POSIXct(HRtemp08$DATE, format="%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%SZ")

## create a STIDF object:
library(spacetime)
sp <- SpatialPoints(HRtemp08[,c("Lon","Lat")])
proj4string(sp) <- CRS("+proj=longlat +datum=WGS84")
HRtemp08.st <- STIDF(sp, time = HRtemp08$ctime, data =
HRtemp08[,c("NAME","TEMP")])

See also:

http://plotkml.r-forge.r-project.org/layer.STIDF.html

HTH,