[R-sig-Geo] assign coordinates(...) possible on rows?

Fabian Ries fabian.ries at hydrology.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Mar 8 11:00:35 CET 2013

Dear all,

I want to realize spatial analysis on rainfall data on a five minute time
step.
The data has the following format.

Station		Stat_01	Stat_02	Stat_03	Stat_04
X		180000	195900	181950	192150
Y		157550	150950	154550	141650
30.04.11 00:05	0	0	0	0
30.04.11 00:10	0	0	0	0
30.04.11 00:15	0	0	0	0
30.04.11 00:20	0	0	0	0
30.04.11 00:25	0.2	0.4	1.2	0
30.04.11 00:30	0	0	0	0
30.04.11 00:35	0	0	0	0
30.04.11 00:40	0	0	0	0
30.04.11 00:45	0	0	0	0
30.04.11 00:50	0	0	0	0

When I convert the data now into SpatialPointsDataFrame I have to assign
coordinates(data) <­ ~X+Y. All examples I saw until now are transposing
the data first so that the coordinates are changed to columns. If I follow
these examples and convert my data with t(data) I end up with a
SpatialPointsDataFrame with a huge amount of columns and have performance
problems to do some simple calculations through every object in the
dataframe.

I'm happy about any help
Cheers
Fabian