[R-sig-Geo] polygons - spatial query

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Sat Jun 29 09:42:33 CEST 2013

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 11:49 PM, Ana <rrasterr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
> I am searching for a spatial package that will let me do spatial queries
> between polygons (if they overlay, if they are at a certain distance). Can
> anyone point me to a R package that will let me do this type of operations?
> Many thanks.

 rgeos

 it's mentioned in the R Spatial Task View:

http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/Spatial.html

but maybe:

"The rgeos package provides an interface to topology functions for sp
objects using GEOS . "

isn't obvious enough for some people to realise 'topology functions'
are what you are looking for, or are what some GIS people call
'spatial analysis' ....

The words 'overlay', 'intersect' and 'point in polygon' don't exist in
that task view...

Barry