[R-sig-Geo] identify methods for sp-class objects

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Jun 21 19:55:04 CEST 2013

Has anyone written a set of 'identify' methods for sp-class objects?

For example, given a spatial polygons data frame, I want to do:

plot(spdf)
identify()

 [click click click]

[1] 23 NA 5

showing my mouse clicks were over polygon 23, no polygon, polygon 5.

For overlapping spdfs, an option might be:

identify(multi=TRUE)

which would return a list of polygon indices under each click.

For spatial line structures, a similar function would either return
the nearest line feature, or all line features within a tolerance.

Similarly for SpatialPoints.

If these don't exist in some package, then I have a job for the weekend...

Barry