[R-sig-Geo] Linux or OS X on Macbook Pro Retina?

MacQueen, Don macqueen1 at llnl.gov
Wed Jun 19 21:42:01 CEST 2013

I have used all of these except spgrass6 on Mac OS X for quite a few years
now.

I use the kyngchaos framework builds of the supporting libraries (proj4,
gdal, an others), and also his builds of QGIS and GRASS.
I have never used macports or homebrew for these (I do use macports to get
an X11-aware version of emacs).

In some circles, people advise against using macports, I guess mostly to
avoid confusion with their versions of things, and the versions that come
with the OS. I neither agree nor disagree with that position. I suppose
that reasoning might apply to homebrew. I'm more inclined to say, if I
don't need those systems I don't use them, and I haven't needed them for
GIS work in Mac OS.

The caveat is that I haven't updated to R 3.x.x yet, nor OS to OS X 10.8

-Don

--
Don MacQueen

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory