[R-sig-Geo] Linux or OS X on Macbook Pro Retina?

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Jun 19 15:30:35 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 2:08 PM, Hadley Wickham <h.wickham at gmail.com> wrote:

> Use homebrew, not macports.  It's much better written.
>
> This should just work without further config (at least it has for me
> in the past):
>
> brew install rgdal
> install.packages("rgdal", type = "source")

 Where does a Maccer get the 'brew' command from? Reading these docs:

http://mxcl.github.io/homebrew/

seems to imply you first need Ruby. Is that installed on every Mac?

does that brew command require an rgdal 'formula' somewhere? I cant
find one here:

https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/blob/master/Library/Formula

or is it a case of installing R from homebrew and then 'gdal' for the
libraries and then the rgdal package via install.packages from source?

1. install Ruby
2. install homebrew
3. start a Terminal
3.1  brew install r
3.2  brew install gdal
4. run R
4.1 install.packages("rgdal",type="source")

?