[R-sig-Geo] Linux or OS X on Macbook Pro Retina?

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Jun 19 14:39:17 CEST 2013

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013, Rainer M Krug wrote:

> Roger Bivand <Roger.Bivand at nhh.no> writes:

>>> Sorry - Macbook Pro Retina

>>> True - I have seen that one. But apart from these, I am looking for some
>>> more insight from actual users of OS X.
>>
>> Although I'm not an actual user, I think that it will be important to
>> install GRASS and its dependencies first, then the R packages using
>> those components (rgdal, rgeos, etc) from source, linking dynamically
>> to the underlying dylibs, as one would typically do on Linux. One
>> reason for this is to maintain consistency in the PROJ and GDAL
>> metadata (things like EPSG), which differ for different versions of
>> say PROJ.
>
> That makes sense - so to install e.g. rgdal, I would use
>
> ,----
> | install.packages("rgdal, type="source")
> `----

You will need to specify the configure arguments, I think - rather as in
Barry's description, or in file.show(system.file("README",
package="rgdal")) - to avoid recursion, on a machine with rgdal already
installed! Or:

https://r-forge.r-project.org/scm/viewvc.php/pkg/inst/README?view=markup&root=rgdal

> after before installing the dependencies. I will try it out by
> installing the dependencies vie Macports, which makes it quite
> easy.

The Kyngchaos frameworks are also well-regarded, and also provide an rgdal
binary package built against the frameworks.

Roger

> Cheers,
>
> Rainer
>

>> Both GRASS and R developers often use OSX as Unix, but they
>> expect to build more components from source where sensible.
>>
>> Roger

>>> That is most definitely very useful.

>>> OK - I will see.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Rainer

> <#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway.
voice: +47 55 95 93 55; fax +47 55 95 95 43
e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no