[R-sig-Geo] Linux or OS X on Macbook Pro Retina?

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Jun 19 10:54:02 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 9:13 AM, Rainer M Krug <Rainer at krugs.de> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I finally received my new computer - a Mac Powerbook Retina.
>
> I am a Linux / Ubuntu user, but I am thinking about possibly using OS
> X. How does OS X play with these spatial applicatios, mainly R (and
> associated packages), gdal, proj4, GRASS? Are there problems /
> complications with using spgrass6 under OS X?
>
> Any experiences, things to be wary about?

question, only without a Mac to play on!

 Roger's answer is that for most people you can just do
install.packages and get binary versions of those packages with static
linking so all dependencies are resolved and there's no need to go
hunting for source code and development packages.

 If you can try that and it all works, please let me know - I'm trying
to write some instructions for new users for a workshop, and I guess
it will be 60% windows, 35% mac, 5% linux...

Barry