[R-sig-Geo] Local plane fitting to Point Cloud

Ludwig Hilger l.hilger at ku.de
Wed Jun 5 17:11:41 CEST 2013

Dear list,

I have a huge (laser measurement) point cloud (Shapefile with Z as an
attribute ("d.juli")) and I have also defined a SpatialGrid ("tdaten_SG")
object whose cells I want to fill using local plane fitting, i.e. I want to
fit a local plane to all points within a certain search distance around the
cell's center and write the corresponding value to the grid cell (so this is
DEM derivation from the points). I have tried the following:
krige(z ~ 1, locations = d.juli, newdata = tdaten_SG, maxdist = 0.5, nmax =
999)
But this does not seem to give the correct result (compared to other
Software). In Bivand et al I find Figure 8.9 and I guess what I want is
"local trend surface prediction"!? So I am wondering how to define and give
a trend function or how to achieve the above in general.

Thank you dear list again and best regards,
Ludwig

-----
Dipl. Geogr. Ludwig Hilger
Wiss. MA
Lehrstuhl für Physische Geographie
Katholische Universität Eichstätt-Ingolstadt
Ostenstraße 18
85072 Eichstätt

Tel.: 08421-93-1180