[R-sig-Geo] projectRaster() to Goode Homolosine

Birgit Mannig birgit.mannig at uni-wuerzburg.de
Tue Jun 4 18:27:19 CEST 2013

Dear all,

I tried to project a Raster file (orignal projection: UTM) to a file
in the Goode projection.
The re-projection with proj4 was obviosly not correct, neither was a
re-projection from a geographical lon/lat file.
Does anyone know if this is a general problem with R/proj4?

Otherwise, I might have produced a faulty raster file. I used the USGS
Global Ecosystem Data (http://edc2.usgs.gov/glcc/globdoc2_0.php),
provided as raw binary, and had to create the Raster myself:

ny <- 17347
nx <- 40031
goge <-
raster(xmn=-20015500,xmx=20015500,ymn=-8673500,ymx=8673500,nrows=ny,ncols=nx,crs="+proj=goode
+a=6370997")
values(goge) <- binfromFTP

Although the created Raster File looked good to me naturally the error
could still occur in this step.

Afterwards I just used:
projectRaster(infile,goge, method="ngb")

Any hints are very much appreciated!

Kind regards,
Birgit