[R-sig-Geo] Converting CorelDraw files in to shape files

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 03:01:19 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 1:07 AM, Ravichandra MONDRETI
<Ravichandra.MONDRETI at cefe.cnrs.fr> wrote:

> Thanks for the advice Barry but I think its quite a lot of work and there might be some problems in converting SVG files to shape file format as SVG is a drawing format and may not really represent the real world situation.
>
> Ravi.

Well this is exactly what Barry was talking about. The CorelDraw files
have already started the problem, when you ask about extracting "the
shapefiles" from them. There aren't any "shapefiles" in there, but
presumably there is geometry of some kind, which may or may not match
the underlying model used by actual shapefiles. How did you get your
geometry into those files and what options does the program provide
you for using them elsewhere?

It's usually a good lead to search for "[my thing] GDAL" which can
pull up discussions about these issues. I found this with "CorelDraw
GDAL CDR": http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/5596/import-cdr-file-into-gis-cad-format

(DXF as an intermediate is going to cause you more of the same
problems, but it may be the only way to share what you have. )

Cheers, Mike.