[R-sig-Geo] Converting CorelDraw files in to shape files

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Jul 30 15:43:10 CEST 2013

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 2:19 PM, Ravichandra MONDRETI
<Ravichandra.MONDRETI at cefe.cnrs.fr> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Could anyone please give me an idea how extract the shape files from CorelDraw files (CDR).

CorelDraw is a proprietary, closed source general vector graphics
package. You may have some maps in the files, but there's no guarantee
the polygons are closed, or anything. They could be lots of line
segments in the wrong order. Or made up of triangles. Different files
could store the data differently. The coordinate system might not be
lat-long or anything else (its probably inches on the document, not
useful when your map is of France).

 Best you could hope for would be to post some where we can get them
and hope someone can reverse-engineer them, or convert them to
something more malleable.

 Inkscape (open source vector graphics editor) says it can Import
Corel Draw files, so you might be able to input them, check the
geometry, save as SVG, convert to shapes somehow,

Barr