[R-sig-Geo] spatial correlation model and variogram

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Fri Jul 19 10:04:00 CEST 2013

Dear Moshood,

Pleasenotethataddingspacestoyourcodemakesyourcodemuchmorereadable

You want
model.vc <- gls(yield ~ easting + northing, method = "ML")
model.sph <- update(model.vc, corSpher(form = ~easting + northing, nugget = TRUE))

which is equivalent to
model.sph <- gls(yield ~ 1, corr = CorSpher(form = ~ easting + northing, nugget = TRUE), method="ML")

Save the residuals and modeling those again is not a good idea.

Best regards,

Thierry

PS I recommend setting some sensible starting values for the range and nugget. With the default range the optimizer tends to get stuck at very small ranges.

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature and Forest
Kliniekstraat 25
1070 Anderlecht
Belgium
+ 32 2 525 02 51
+ 32 54 43 61 85
Thierry.Onkelinx at inbo.be
www.inbo.be

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of data.
~ John Tukey