[R-sig-Geo] working with large ascii files in R

Mauricio Zambrano-Bigiarini mauricio.zambrano at jrc.ec.europa.eu
Thu Jul 18 10:38:12 CEST 2013

On 07/18/2013 09:26 AM, Roman Luštrik wrote:
> Have you considered updating your R and associated packages?

As Roman mentioned, I also suggest you, as first step, to update R (and
all the packages) up to version 3 or higher, because one of the
significant user changes introduced in R 3.0.0 was related to memory
(from the NEWS file):

      "It is now possible for 64-bit builds to allocate amounts of
       memory limited only by the OS.  It may be wise to use OS
       facilities (e.g. ulimit in a bash shell, limit in csh), to set
       limits on overall memory consumption of an R process,
       particularly in a multi-user environment.  A number of packages
       need a limit of at least 4GB of virtual memory to load.

       64-bit Windows builds of R are by default limited in memory usage
       to the amount of RAM installed: this limit can be changed by
       command-line option --max-mem-size or setting environment
       variable R_MAX_MEM_SIZE."

Kind regards,

Mauricio Zambrano-Bigiarini, Ph.D

Water Resources Unit
Joint Research Centre (JRC), European Commission
TP 261, Via Enrico Fermi 2749, 21027 Ispra (VA), IT
Work Phone : +39 0332 789588
webinfo    : http://floods.jrc.ec.europa.eu/
DISCLAIMER:
"The views expressed are purely those of the writer
and may not in any circumstances be regarded as sta-
ting an official position of the European Commission"
"The journey is the reward"  (Steve Jobs)