[R-sig-Geo] Citation

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Jul 17 17:34:41 CEST 2013

On Wed, 17 Jul 2013, Milan Sharma wrote:

> Hi Roger,
> If I am using a number of packages from R, what is the general practice
> of citation (to cite all the packages individually or to cite R as a
> whole) in scientific journal  publications?

It will depend on how much your work depends on the packages. If the
packages make a contribution that you feel referees and readers should be
referred to (so that they can check what you did), include them in the
references. For R, this is FAQ 2.8, otherwise ?citation. Journals also
vary in their practice.

Roger

> Thanks,
> Milan

Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway.
voice: +47 55 95 93 55; fax +47 55 95 95 43
e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no