[R-sig-Geo] Using gDistance under Linux causes R crash.

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Jul 9 07:57:12 CEST 2013

On Tue, 9 Jul 2013, Ferdinand Bersse wrote:

> Dears,
>
> I've been trying to use gDistance from rgeos package to generate a distance
> matrix between all features of a shp file, i.e. using gDistance(shpfile,
> shpfile, byid=TRUE) in R 2.15 and it always makes R to crash.

You should always provide a reproducible example of claims of crashing R.
There is no way anyone can advise you if you do not do this, because
guesswork is no help. Please also see the posting guide for definitions of
crash - a crash is only when R exits to the shell. You will have to remove
the possibility that rgeos and GEOS are wrongly installed, first by
removing the rpm (I doubt that geos-devel is sufficient) and installing
GEOS from source. Then you must show how your read the shapefile (use
rgdal only), and it will be best if you show your code in relation to a
small shapefile that is available.

Roger