[R-sig-Geo] sample size for autoregressive models

Li, Han Han_Li at baylor.edu
Tue Jul 2 23:25:23 CEST 2013

Dear list,

I used SAR, CAR, and GAM models in my dissertation research (function spautolm() and gam()). My data sets were about urban wildlife presence/absence. I used eight continuous predicting variables and three categorical predicting variables.

One of my committee members asked me if the sample size was appropriate for these models. When I took statistic classes with this professor, he suggested that the rules of thumb for the minimum sample size of regression would be 100 + # of predictors. I also found many tables of sample size for regression in my textbooks. I was wondering if the "minimum sample size" rules for linear/logistic regression can be applied to autoregressive models.

Thanks in advance

Han

Han Li
Department of Biology