[R-sig-Geo] Huge kriging weights when using kriging with external drift in gstat

Tobias Vetter vetter at pik-potsdam.de
Tue Jul 2 15:37:02 CEST 2013

Dear  all,
I am interpolating automatically  daily air temperature values using
kriging with external drift (altitude) and the library gstat. From time
to time (quite random) I get unrealistic predictions like -400°C with
very high kriging weights   like 2000.
  Looking at the data everything seems to be ok.  Then I changed the
variogram ranges  a little bit and the problem disappears.
How can this behavior be explained?

  I  have attached a small  example script for demonstration  and some data.

Thanks you
Tobias