[R-sig-Geo] R help

vikram ranga babuawara at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 13:16:45 CEST 2013

Hi Kevin,

Thank you very much for your email and time.
I appreciate it greatly,
I worked with gDifference from rgeos, also suggested by Alex. It works
fine but it gives you SpatialPolygons instead of
SpatialPolygonsDataFrame.
In addition to that the row.names are lost which add to complexity in
matching and attaching the original data.

I figured out another way:- as my goal was to get information from
different rings at different distances.
therefore, I counted the number of points in one ring and substracted
the number from the lower buffer--gave me exclusive numbers for a
ring.
The column I got, was then used to do some arithmetics and results
came out fine. this is bit simpler (but took me longer to figure this
out).

Cheers,

Vikram.