[R-sig-Geo] Incorrect result of gDisjoint in rgeos?

zbynek.janoska at centrum.cz zbynek.janoska at centrum.cz
Tue Feb 26 11:59:02 CET 2013

Hello,
I have encountered strange results, when using Geometry Relationship tools
in rgeos package.
I have set of lines and points and want to check, which point lies on which
line.

The results, which I obtain using rgeos tools, are incorrect, however.
For example, I have point 59 and line 63.
Point 59 is endpoint of this line:

> coordinates(point[59,])
             x        y
point -641291.2 -1115435
> coordinates(line[63,])[[1]][[1]][1,]
[1]  -641291.2 -1115435.2
> coordinates(line[63,])[[1]][[1]][1,] == coordinates(point[59,])
        x    y
point1 TRUE TRUE

But rgeos sees them as disjoint geometries
> gDisjoint(line[63,],point[59,])
[1] TRUE

Point 59 was initialy created by taking first vertex of line 63, and there
was no rounding used, therefore I dont think this error is due to rounding
error.
Also both lines and points have the same coordinate system.

I can not seem to find the explanation, does anyone have any suggestion?

Thanks,
Zbynek