[R-sig-Geo] foreach progress bar?

Forrest Stevens forrest at ufl.edu
Mon Feb 25 20:28:20 CET 2013

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Jonathan Greenberg <jgrn at illinois.edu> wrote:
> Folks:
>
> Has anyone figured out a general solution to create a foreach progress
> bar, updated as each iteration is completed?
>
> --j

The following is what I use frequently, but you should note that the
raster package (assuming that's what you'd like it for) has facilities
built in for progress bar creation:

##	NOTE: The tcltk library is used to create a progress bar, but the
##		raster package has a progress bar mechanism built in in recent versions.
##		Look up the pbCreate(), pbStep(), and pbClose() functions in the raster
##		package...
require(tcltk)

total_n <- 1000

pb <- tkProgressBar(title = "Predicting Population Density:", min = 0,
max = total_n, width = 300)

for (i in 1:total_n) {
	## ...
	setTkProgressBar(pb, i, label=paste( round(i/total_n*100, 0),"% done"))
}
close(pb)

Forrest Stevens

--