[R-sig-Geo] Lightning density map

Bogdan Antonescu bogdan.antonescu at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Feb 15 16:56:14 CET 2013

Hi ,

I am trying to plot a cloud-to-ground lightning density map for Romania.
The data set contains: date(year/month/dat), time(hh/mm/ss), latitude,
and longitude for each lightning flash. The density maps were based on
dividing the study area into a grid cells (e.g., 20-km to correspond
with the audible range of thunder). I have used ArcGIS to calculate a
density value for each cell by counting the number of lightning flashes
within the cell and dividing by the cell area. The density value
(flashes km−2) is then assigned to each cell.

Can someone help me on how to do this in R?

Thank you very much,

Bogdan