[R-sig-Geo] Alternative to zonal for large images

Ned Horning horning at amnh.org
Wed Feb 13 16:31:34 CET 2013

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. This morning I tried
the approach suggested by Oscar Perpiñán Lamigueiro and was very
impressed. It is very fast, didn't consume excessive memory, and it
provides enough flexibility to use different statistics. It also
introduced me to the data.table package which I expect will come in
handy for lots of other applications.

All the best,

Ned