[R-sig-Geo] placing spdf back into adehabiatHR estUDm

Phil H pharriso at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Feb 1 16:36:20 CET 2013

Hi,

This looks to be exactly the solution i am looking for- I am analysing some
telemetry data in a reservoir which is too complex to meet the boundary
rules.
 However I am having a little trouble with the example code....its probably
something I have done but.....

library(adehabitatHR)
data(puechabonsp)
loc <- puechabonsp$relocs
elev <- puechabonsp$map
fullgrid(elev) <- TRUE
hab <- elev
hab[[1]] <- as.numeric(!is.na(hab[[1]]))

#everything works good up till here
ud <- kernelUD(loc[,1], grid=hab)

#when i get to this point I get the following error message

error in .kernelUDs(SpatialPoints(x, proj4string = CRS(as.character(pfs1))),
:
  grid should be a number or an object inheriting the class SpatialPixels

#i notice that when I run

> class(hab)
[1] "SpatialGridDataFrame"
attr(,"package")
[1] "sp"

#it appears to be a class SpatialGridDataFrame. and the grid function needs
to be of the class SpatialPixels

#so I tried

hab<-SpatialPixels(hab)

however this doesnt seem to work i get the error

> hab2<-SpatialPixels(hab)
Error in SpatialPixels(hab) :
  points should be of class or extending SpatialPoints

I am a bit of a beginner using sp and adehabitathr packages so i expect it
is something silly
however I just cant seem to recetify this

Thanks for your time
Phil H