[R-sig-Geo] how to create maps from topojson files and csv data?

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Dec 16 13:01:56 CET 2013

On a more positive note, topojson, like geojson, is just a JSON file,
so you can read it with any of the R JSON interface packages (I've
just read a us.json file using package:RJSONIO).

 The job is then to unweave the structure into something plottable.
topojson works by defining features as sequences of arcs, and arcs as
sequences of coordinates. The arcs are actually defined as a start
point and x-y offsets.

 With a whole load of array lookups (remembering that arc -342 is arc
342 in the reverse direction) you could write some R code to go from
topojson to SpatialPolygons.

 I'm loathe to do this at the moment since I suspect the functionality
to convert from topojson to shapefiles/geojson/some other standard
exists (apart from in ogr 2.0) and it would be easier to re-use that.

 Ooh, it takes me back to my reverse-engineering Arc/Info .e00 files...

Barry