[R-sig-Geo] assigning densities to polygons & chloropleth maps

karengrace84 kgfisher at alumni.unc.edu
Fri Dec 13 21:06:56 CET 2013

I am looking at fish tagging data throughout the state of Louisiana. I have a
shapefile of the state divided into 480 polygons, and I would like to make a
chloropleth map by number of fish tagged in each polygon. Just wondering
what the best way to do this is.

I have no problem assigning all of the tag locations (gps points) to their
designated polygon. But I am not sure how to proceed from there.

ggplot looks to be the best way to create the graph, but I don't know how to
get my data in the correct format for that function.

Any guidance is much appreciated!