[R-sig-Geo] Strange lines when projecting a world map

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Dec 5 23:58:36 CET 2013

On Thu, 5 Dec 2013, Francesco Carotenuto wrote:

> Thank you for the answer. The object is the prediction location in an
> interpolation process. The function of "overlay" is involved in an
> automatic process and the longitude (and the kind of projection too) can
> change according to the dataset that is, in some cases, worldwide
> distributed.

This doesn't help much - do you mean that the grid is of prediction
locations? Are the polygons used for anything other than visualization? If
you change the visualization projection (shifting the meridian (+lon_0)
for worldwide distributions) repeatedly, you will have to clip to suit. If
visualization, does it make sense to modify the meridian (the reader may
see the shifts as confusing)?

You are trying to deal with multiple somethings that you are interpolating
(to a grid?) and displaying in possibly different windows possibly
depending on the extent of the prediction grid. Your workflow isn't
obvious.

You haven't explained why you need the projection so far (other than
aesthetics, maybe?). You may be able to interpolate on the sphere, so
unless the target grid cells must be of fixed area - and possibly not even
then, you don't need to make life complicated. There are problems in
creating global visualizations in any case, as the lines/polygons need
clipping at +/- 180 degrees from the meridian.

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no