[R-sig-Geo] original coordinates of the redwood data?

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Dec 4 22:51:14 CET 2013

Some years ago I noticed that Strauss's seminal paper in Biometrika
(vol. 62, No. 2,
1975, pp. 467 - 475) states that there are n = 77 points in region I.
(See page 474,
just below Figure 1.) However if one looks at the region I pattern in
spatstat, e.g.:

     X <- with(redwoodfull.extra, redwoodfull[regionI])
     npoints(X)

one gets n = 71.  A careful count of the points in Region I in Strauss's
Figure 1 (page 474)
also gives  n = 71.  A possible explanation for this anomaly is that
there are
hidden points in Strauss's Figure 1.  These points would of necessity
lie very close to
points that we "know about" which fact would inflate the number of
r-close pairs, for
any value of r used in any modelling exercise.

It would be kind of nice to find out what is *really* going on, but I
expect that the
original data are sadly lost in the mists of time.

     cheers,

     Rolf Turner