[R-sig-Geo] Extracting weird temperature and EVI values from MODIS data

dlarsen dlarsen at tulane.edu
Fri Sep 21 23:50:16 CEST 2012

Hi all,

I am trying to generate temperature and EVI for points in my dataset, but
the values I am extracting are strange.  The EVI values range from 627 -
9149 with a mean of 4912.861.  The EVI values range from 14933 to 15800 with
a mean of 15549.66.  Is there some type of conversion that I am missing?
Here are the steps I took.  (I know many of them are inefficient, but I am
doing this for my dissertation without a lot of support).

1.  Download HDF files using Earth Explorer
2.  Use MODIS Reprojection tool to convert to vegetation indices and
temperature tif files.
3.  Use the raster package in R to extract the values of the tif file to
spatial points.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
David