[R-sig-Geo] gstat for interpolation

Ashton Shortridge ashton at msu.edu
Fri Sep 7 15:45:19 CEST 2012

Dear Minti,

with only 8 stations there is not enough data to construct reliable covariance
(variogram) models. Eight stations simply isn't very many for reliably
modeling spatial structure. You would be much better off just using inverse
distance weighting (IDW), which gstat can also do, or even nearest-neighbor
interpolation.

Second, it would be best to project the latitudes and longitudes to a planar
coordinate system appropriate for your study region. I think gstat may be able
to deal with spherical distances, but I haven't any experience with that. The
rgdal package is one of several that can do this in R; it can also be done in
GIS or with other geospatial tools.

Yours,

Ashton