[R-sig-Geo] Moran I with Edge effect correction

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Sep 7 10:19:24 CEST 2012

On Mon, 27 Aug 2012, laurence delattre wrote:

> Hi,
>   This is very interesting. I would like to know a little bit more about
> how to use glist=argument to reduce weights on observations selected as
> members of an edge set and how to identify such members.

There isn't a simple answer, so each case would need to be guided by the
analyst. If a concave hull is available, one could down-weight all links
to observations in the set of members of the concave hull. If the
observations have polygon support, one could mark all polygons with less
that 100% internal shared boundaries (having an external boundary) for
down-weighting. The down-weighting might be done by iterating over the
links in the nb object to apply the downweighting factor to each link.
There is a discussion of concave hulls on:

http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/Concave-hull-td863710.html

example(nc.sids)
nn <- card(ncCR85_nb)
summary(nn)
nc.sids$nn <- factor(nn)
spplot(nc.sids, "nn", col.regions=rev(grey.colors(9)))

But your choice of weights style will have a major impact, so for binary
weights, the low neighbour count observations are already down-weighted.
The problem of up-weighted low neighbour count observations is most
pressing for row-standardised weights, and there the glist= argument will
not help. These topics are not well covered in the literature, I'm afraid.

Hope this helps,

Roger