[R-sig-Geo] spatstat crashes R when converting tess to sp objects

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sun Oct 28 14:30:16 CET 2012

On Sun, 28 Oct 2012, Barry Rowlingson wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 12:22 PM, O'Hanlon, Simon J
> <simon.ohanlon at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Dear list,
>
>> #Reproducible example
>
> I think maptools isn't coping with certain types of tess object. I
> can reproduce this in three lines without needing a download :)

I'm seeing:

Warning message:
In as.polygonal(x) :
   Can't convert mask to polygon: gpclib is disabled/unavailable

called in maptools:::owin2Polygons:

x <- as.polygonal(x)

where x is an element of the list y made from the tesselation in
maptools:::as.SpatialPolygons.tess by

y <- tiles(x)

Since as.polygonal(x) fails, x$bdry is NULL, and pieces is an empty
list. I've patched sp:::Polygons() to trap the empty list on R-Forge, so
that the user will see (using the current status of rspatial/sp on
R-Forge):

> vp <- as( v , "SpatialPolygons" )
Error: length(srl) > 0 is not TRUE
In addition: Warning message:
In as.polygonal(x) :
   Can't convert mask to polygon: gpclib is disabled/unavailable

The resolution for now is:

spatstat.options("gpclib"=TRUE)

letting as.polygonal() do its stuff for a W$type "mask" tesselation. Not
great, but it works; conversion to rgeos from gpclib might also work
using the wrappers for gpclib objects included in rgeos.

Roger