[R-sig-Geo] areaint in Matlab vs. areaPolygon or areapl in R

c.gutierrez c74gutierrez at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 18:54:59 CEST 2012

I am getting two different sets of values when I try to calculate the polygon
area in Matlab vs. R. In Matlab, I used areaint (with the reference
ellipsoid set to WGS84). In R, I tried both geosphere::areaPolygon on
lat-lon or splancs::areapl on grid-converted Euclidean coordinates. The R
results agree with each other, but not with the Matlab calculation. The two
sets are on average 25% different (Matlab lower). What am I missing?

[This is cross-posted on stackoverflow
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13038602/areaint-in-matlab-vs-areapolygon-or-areapl-in-r#comment17718262_13038602
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13038602/areaint-in-matlab-vs-areapolygon-or-areapl-in-r#comment17718262_13038602>
]