[R-sig-Geo] Error object 'can.sim2' not found in spatianl panel data - splm with spdep

Patrick Meyfroidt patrick.meyfroidt at uclouvain.be
Tue Oct 9 11:25:59 CEST 2012

Hi Rafael,

thank you very much for the answer.

I read the page you referred to, and it was indeed very interesting, but I
haven't yet figured out how to use that in my problem.

When I do:
  ls( envir = .GlobalEnv )
I see that the object I use for listw, which is "wrus.knb5", is indeed
located in .GlobalEnv

I tried - not sure it was necessary or useful - to force spml to be
enclosed in .GlobalEnv by doing:
  environment( spml ) = .GlobalEnv
But still the object listw is not found.

I also tried to specify where to look for wrus.knb5, by using:
  spml( ... listw = .GlobalEnv:::wrus.knb5 ...)
but, as can be expected, it does not work because .GlobalEnv is not a
package.

So, two questions:
- What is R looking in the wrong place? Is it the function listw, or the
object wrus.knb5 that I use as input for listw ?
- Based on that, how can I help R to look at the right place?

Thanks,

Patrick

> Hi Patrick
>
> I can not judge whether it makes any sense, but if you want listw and
> listw2 to be the same, try:
>
> spml(formula = fm, data = rusp9508.subsvars, index ="index", listw =
> wrus.knb5, listw2 = wrus.knb5, model = "within", lag = TRUE, spatial.error
> =
> "b")
>
> Otherwise, I guess, R is looking for listw in the wrong place. Look at
> http://obeautifulcode.com/R/How-R-Searches-And-Finds-Stuff/
> for explanations.
>
> HTH,
> Rafael
>
> On 08.10.2012, at 13:47, Patrick Meyfroidt wrote:
>
>> OK, I may have some update, sorry for the disturbance.
>>
>> By explicitly indicating that listw2 is the same as listw, like that:
>>
>> spml(formula = fm, data = rusp9508.subsvars, index ="index", listw =
>> wrus.knb5, listw2 = listw, model = "within", lag = TRUE, spatial.error =
>> "b")
>>
>> I now get the following error message:
>>
>> Error in match(x, table, nomatch = 0L) : object 'listw' not found
>>
>> So apparently the listw object cannot be read.
>>
>> Is it because the weights were calculated once for each country, but the
>> dataset is a panel one?
>>
>> Does someone have a clue?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Patrick Meyfroidt
>>

>>> Dear list,
>>>
>>> I have spatial panel data (regions over years), that I subsetted to
>>> make
>>> sure that the panel is balanced.
>>>
>>> Using spdep, I calculated weights using nearest neighbors on these
>>> regions, with the following code:
>>>
>>> --
>>> RUSCRS <- CRS("+proj=lcc +lat_1=15 +lat_2=65 +lat_0=30 +lon_0=95 +x_0=0
>>> +y_0=0 +units=m +datum=WGS84")
>>> rus <- readShapeSpatial([filename], IDvar = "index", proj4string =
>>> RUSCRS)
>>> coords <- coordinates(rus)
>>> ruskn5 <- knearneigh(coords, k=5, longlat = NULL)
>>> ruskn5.nb <- knn2nb(ruskn5, row.names=rus$index, sym = FALSE)
>>> wrus.knb5 <- nb2listw(ruskn5.nb, glist=NULL, style="W",