[R-sig-Geo] plotKML tutorials for creating a times series from rasters?

Tomislav Hengl hengl at spatial-analyst.net
Wed Oct 3 09:01:50 CEST 2012

On 02/10/2012 21:21, nikos ves wrote:
> Hi list,
>

> I was browsing the list and I found out about plotKML. It seems a nice
> way to present your data, or do a visual inspection.
>

> I tried to create a timeseries visualization from an environmental index
> Im studying at the moment (55 geotiffs ~35 MB each) but I couldn't
> figure out how.
>
> Anyone can give me some pointers on how to proceed? Maybe some notes,
> articles that he/she found somewhere and want to share the knowledge? (A
> google search didn't turn anything except from the manuals :/)

I am sorry but 55 x 35MB would be too much for R to handle at the
moment. I'm still working on 'smarter ways' (I'll try to combine raster
package functionality with ImageMagick etc) so that large images could
be converted to PNGs without loading them to R memory. As you can see in
my tutorial
[http://plotkml.r-forge.r-project.org/tutorial.php#large_data], the
section on exporting large data is still missing  :(

I think that by the end of 2012 the tutorial and functionality should be
complete.

T. Hengl