[R-sig-Geo] Spatial Analysis Doubts

Nuno nmmv2002 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 30 14:42:16 CET 2012

Hi you all,

I am studying the spatial overlap between two species. I want to:

 - Determine the spatial distribution of each of the two species using a
geostatistical approach by estimating the variogram and then apply the
kriging and/or cokriging.

 - Use the estimates predicted for each species to determine the ratio, to
evaluate de spatial distribution of the ratio estimates and then obtain the
overlap degree.

My questions are:

1 – What are the procedures that you recommend to test if the process is
stationary? I just assumed that the process is stationary?

2 - In my work there is clear east-west anisotropy. My questions regarding
this are:

i) Is there any test to evaluate its significance other than graphically?

ii) Being a strong anisotropy it is more advisable to study the spatial
distribution, of the variable under study, in that direction?

3- Are there any cases where the Simple Kriging is more advisable than the
other forms of Kriging?

4- Besides Cross-validation residual and Cross validation z-scores, are
there any test to evaluate the adequacy of different models? Is there any
coefficient like AIC criterion to evaluate and choose the best-fitted model
between several models or the decision is mainly done by graphical analysis?

5- Which is the package in R more fit to my study? geoR or gstat?

Thanks a lot for your help,
Best regards,
Nuno Veiga