[R-sig-Geo] Soil/Agricultural modeller position at ISRIC, Wageningen

Tomislav Hengl hengl at spatial-analyst.net
Wed Nov 28 10:53:02 CET 2012

For more info see:
http://www.academictransfer.com/employer/WUR/vacancy/16419/lang/en/

Job description

A dedicated soil scientist, agricultural studies or physical geographer
(MSc or PhD) who will support the aim of ISRIC to allow efficient
exchange of soil data between soil scientists and the users community of
global development issues and by adding the 4th dimension (time) to our
soil information. Strong conceptual abilities are required to
scientifically link these issues, especially the use of GIS and remote
sensing information in combination with spatial and dynamic modelling.
The candidate should have therefore experience in data management in
combination with quantitative modelling of soil-water-plant processes,
including soil formation processes, land-use change scenarios on
degradation and modelling of carbon and water dynamics. Willingness to
work in an international environment. Command of French or Spanish is an
asset as well as flexibility and sensitivity to interact with multiple
cultures.

Requirements

- Soil scientist or physical geographer (MSc or PhD)
- Experience in spatial database management, GIS and remote sensing
- Experience in dynamic modelling of soil- and landscape-related processes
- Experience in teaching or willingness to learn
- Experience in practical field research is an asset
- Good interpersonal, communication and writing skills.

Major duties:
- Develop soil-related modelling approaches to link thematic issues for
efficient soil data exchange
- Develop methods to link remote sensing data, GIS and soil-water-crop
modelling by adding the 4th dimension to soil data
- Understand methodologies for quantitative assessment of global
thematic issues, including land and soil degradation, land productivity,
availability and dynamics of soil water and carbon
- Support the development of user friendly toolkits for modelling.

Conditions of employment

Scale 10 with maximum salary of 3755.,- (Euro’s gross per month).
Social benefits including holiday and “end of year” allowances.
Contract duration: 2 years, with annual renewal based on performance and
possibility for extension
Maximum working hours per week: 38
Contract type: Temporary, 2 jaar

Organisation

Wageningen UR (University & Research centre)

ISRIC – World Soil Information is an ICSU accredited World Data Centre
and has a leading role in international projects aimed at developing a
new soil map of the world. Awareness on the importance of soils in
global developments has increased in the policy arena and society and it
is now widely realized that soils play a key role in food production,
climate change, maintenance of biodiversity, production of energy crops
and the management of soil water. ISRIC is developing web-based systems
to realize its mission and objectives. For more information see
www.isric.org

Wageningen University & Research centre
Delivering a substantial contribution to the quality of life. That's our
focus – each and every day. Within our domain, healthy food and living
environment, we search for answers to issues affecting society – such as
sustainable food production, climate change and alternative energy. Of
course, we don’t do this alone. Every day, 6,500 people work on ‘the
quality of life’, turning ideas into reality, on a global scale.

Could you be one of these people? We give you the space you need.

For further information about working at Wageningen UR, take a look at
www.wageningenur.nl/en/Jobs.htm.

--
T. Hengl
http://www.wewur.wur.nl/popups/vcard.aspx?id=HENGL001