[R-sig-Geo] (no subject)

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sat Nov 17 10:36:20 CET 2012

All the R lists have become subject to attack by bots automatically
subscribing (all so far from gmail addresses) and we have not been able to
match the escalation in this weapons race. We may be obliged to treat all
non-institutional addresses as suspect (such as gmail, which has been the
prefered mode for these attackers. We cannot moderate the list, so we may
need to restrict address sending ranges. I have administratively
unsubscribed all senders of spam, including you. If you wish to
re-subscribe (and we don't know that you are not a bot), please do so from
an institutional address. We may also have to introduce other methods for
checking the reality of subscribers, which we haven't used until now.

Regretfully,

List admin.