[R-sig-Geo] rgdal compile error on RHEL5 [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Nov 14 18:42:34 CET 2012

On Wed, 14 Nov 2012, twuest wrote:

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am getting exactly the same error when compiling the latest rgdal
>> (0.7-22)
>> on RHEL5 (CentOS 5.5) using the gdal v1.8.0 RPM from the elgis repository.
>>
>> Could anybody resolve this problem?
>
> You are the only person with access to relevant information. What your
> "same error" is, only you know - no text from any existing thread is
> included in your message.
>
> Th error refers to the one originally posted by Andrew Harley (see above):
> When running "R CMD INSTALL rgdal", the installation fails with

> configure: error: GDALAllRegister not found in libgdal.

Did you follow my suggestion to the original poster, which was to download
and unpack the rgdal source package to a local temporary directory, and
run:

R CMD INSTALL rgdal

and then examine the output to config.*? The problem you are experiencing
is your problem, so if you need to resolve it, you should commit to doing
so. Nobody else has your exact combination of system configuration and
installed binary packages (Linux GIS binary packages are typically used by
very few systems in the same combination, and are often very out of date).

You have once again edited out important content from my reply. Please do
not do that - my messages are copyright to me and may not be cut at your
pleasure. This list is not an adjunct to Nabble - please do not treat it
as such.

I am still pretty certain that the installation error you are seeing is
caused by gdal-config not pointing to the directory in shich the *.so file
is to be found, so an installation muddle on your system. In addition,
/sbin/ldconfig may not have been run after installing GDAL.

Please do:

R CMD INSTALL rgdal, and examining the contents of the rgdal
directory, specifically the config.log, config.status and errors.txt
files. The final file should record the compiler and linker error
messages.

as I wrote before. I believe that I recollect a message from the original
poster reporting success after cleaning up muddle, but cannot find it on
my system now. It certainly wasn't on thread or list, so Nabble has no
record of the resolution. The configure file in rgdal is intended to trap
systems that are not configured correctly, and so rgdal is working exactly
to design here.

Roger

> For all systems installing rgdal from source, it is recommended that you
> consider not installing binary external dependencies, but installing them
> from source. All of the Linux GIS packages, be it Debian or RPM, have
> had numerous reported problems. So far, all installation problems on such
> systems have turned out to be problems in the external dependencies of
> rgdal, often multiple installs of GDAL (with the library pointed to by
> gdal-config not being the first such in the search path), or similar.
>

> I previously removed the old gdal RPMs, so there should be no 'gdal'
> left-overs.
>
> With elgis' gdal-1.7.3-3_0.el5.elgis.x86_64 and rgdal version 0.6-33, things
> worked fine.
>

> So this is work for you, nobody else. Using binary packages has advantages
> and disadvantages, you've hit a disadvantage, that "dependency hell" has
> said "hello".
>

> Well, installing from source may resolve one particular problem but
> introduces again new dependencies. Beside providing binaries, package
> managers and repositories such as 'elgis' for RHEL (and many others) are
> helping a lot to resolve exactly this "dependency hell".
>
> Thus, I guess this issue might interest others too.
>
> Thomas

Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway.
voice: +47 55 95 93 55; fax +47 55 95 95 43
e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no