[R-sig-Geo] rgdal compile error on RHEL5 [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Nov 14 14:15:23 CET 2012

On Wed, 14 Nov 2012, twuest wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am getting exactly the same error when compiling the latest rgdal (0.7-22)
> on RHEL5 (CentOS 5.5) using the gdal v1.8.0 RPM from the elgis repository.
>
> Could anybody resolve this problem?

You are the only person with access to relevant information. What your
"same error" is, only you know - no text from any existing thread is
included in your message.

(from your nabble footer, it was:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2012-August/015872.html
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2012-September/016020.html

My advice then was as you can read.

For all systems installing rgdal from source, it is recommended that you
consider not installing binary external dependencies, but installing them
from source. All of the Linux GIS packages, be it Debian or RPM, have
had numerous reported problems. So far, all installation problems on such
systems have turned out to be problems in the external dependencies of
rgdal, often multiple installs of GDAL (with the library pointed to by
gdal-config not being the first such in the search path), or similar.

So this is work for you, nobody else. Using binary packages has advantages
and disadvantages, you've hit a disadvantage, that "dependency hell" has
said "hello".

Roger

> Thanks,
> Thomas
>
> Here are some specs:
>
> gdalinfo --version
> GDAL 1.8.0, released 2011/01/12
>

> locate libgdal
> /usr/lib/ogdi/libgdal.so
> /usr/lib64/libgdal.so
> /usr/lib64/libgdal.so.1
> /usr/lib64/libgdal.so.1.15.0
> /usr/lib64/libgdalconstjni.so
> /usr/lib64/libgdalconstjni.so.1
> /usr/lib64/libgdalconstjni.so.1.15.0
> /usr/lib64/libgdaljni.so
> /usr/lib64/libgdaljni.so.1
> /usr/lib64/libgdaljni.so.1.15.0
> /usr/lib64/ogdi/libgdal.so
>

> /sbin/ldconfig -v | grep gdal
> 	libgdaljni.so.1 -> libgdaljni.so.1.15.0
> 	libgdalconstjni.so.1 -> libgdalconstjni.so.1.15.0
> 	libgdal.so.1 -> libgdal.so.1.15.0
>

> nm -D /usr/lib64/libgdal.so.1.15.0 | grep GDALAllRegister
> 00000037a70cc3c0 T GDALAllRegister
>

>> sessionInfo()
> R version 2.15.2 (2012-10-26)
> Platform: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu (64-bit)
>
> locale:
> [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C
> [3] LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8
> [5] LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8    LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
> [7] LC_PAPER=C                 LC_NAME=C
> [9] LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C
> [11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C
>
> attached base packages:

Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway.
voice: +47 55 95 93 55; fax +47 55 95 95 43
e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no