[R-sig-Geo] [plain text] Error: cannot allocate vector of size 274.7 Mb

Raffaele Morelli raffaele.morelli at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 09:58:44 CET 2012

2012/11/13 Mauricio Zambrano-Bigiarini <mauricio.zambrano at jrc.ec.europa.eu>:
> On 13/11/12 11:20, Raffaele Morelli wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> sorry for double posting but I saw my messages were scrubbed from html
>> garbage and don't know if nobody replies for that, but just in case...
>> apologize if not.
>>
>> I am having trouble with this error when calculating a density on a
>> point pattern dataset with 34480 points.
>> My script exit when calculating
>>
>> z<-density(mypattern, 3000, dimyx=3000)
>>
>> The machine the script it's running on it's a debian/amd64 OS with
>> 16Gb RAM, I have set to unlimited the memory limits (the output of
>> ulimit -a follows)
>>
>> Any ideas?
>

> Try:
>
> ?memory.limit
> ?gc
>
> and read 'Circle 2' of the R_inferno
> (www.burns-stat.com/pages/Tutor/R_inferno.pdf)
>
> IHTH,
>
> Mauricio

Circle 2 is interesting but it's not my case, I do not costruct object
that way and fetch data from a postgres/postgis database.
Putting in the code lines such as
>cat('point 1 mem', memory.size(), memory.size(max=TRUE), 'nn')
doesn't help because those commands are windows specific and I work on linux.

Here follows a link to my script and RData, lines commented are not
needed because objects are in the RData
http://cen.isprambiente.it/~rmorelli/R/

I've just purged unusued objects from RData.

Regards
-r