[R-sig-Geo] adehabitatHS - kselect analysis

Clement Calenge clement.calenge at oncfs.gouv.fr
Tue Nov 13 16:22:25 CET 2012

Dear Roland,

> while analyzing animal relocations using the kselect analysis in adehabitatHS (third-order habitat selection), I would greatly appreciate any help with the following two topics:
>
> 1) How to test for significance if the relocations are not independent? Since I am working with trajectories (time interval between relocations is one hour), I am afraid I cannot use rand.kselect for this purpose?
> Remark: To account for the dependence between successive relocations, I have used the BRB function to estimate the home ranges.

I do no know, but just a clue: maybe you should have a look at null
model approaches. Have a look at the vignette of the package
adehabitatLT, section 5. It may be possible to simulate trajectories at
each step of the null model approach using some kind of movement model
(which one is a complex question; there are no built-in functions to do
that, and designing a sensible movement model is not an easy thing).

> 2) This topic deals with the visualization of the kselect results. Using plot.kselect, I get (among others) two diagrams showing a) the scores of the environmental variables (corresponding to x$l1 of the output) on the axes and b), the scores of the recentered marginality vectors on the axes (x$co). Just to be sure: Would it be mathematically correct to combine both scores into one single diagram, i.e. to create a kind of biplot?

Basically, the K-select analysis is a non-centered principal component
analysis, so that biplots sensu Gabriel (1971) are indeed possible. Use
the function scatter from the package ade4 to draw such biplots.
Best regards,

Clément Calenge