[R-sig-Geo] R and GIS

Julian Burgos julian at hafro.is
Thu Nov 8 15:58:40 CET 2012

Hi Marco,
Depending on what you have to do, you may not need a GIS.  R has now
many "GIS-like" features.  I now use R for 98% of my work, and use GRASS
and QGIS mostly to process large datasets and as interactive
visualization tools.  But all analyses and plotting (for publications or
reports) is done in R.
This is a good start:
http://www.springerlink.com/content/978-0-387-78171-6?MUD=MP
Look the first section of the book, in particular.
Good luck!

Julian

--
Julian Mariano Burgos, PhD
Hafrannsóknastofnunin/Marine Research Institute
Netfang/Email: julian at hafro.is