[R-sig-Geo] RGui crashs while writing images

Matthias Bösling mboeslin at uni-osnabrueck.de
Thu May 31 10:21:02 CEST 2012

Dear List,

i am using R in a studentproject to build a small toolbox for remotesensing. Since remotesensing data is verry big, i am scripting a function that automaticly splits an image in several tiles. There for i use the package 'raster' wich works untill there really fine for me, but in this function (writing multiple files with 'writeRaster()') it leads to a crash of the RGui. I am working on Win XP and tried RGui 2.12.0 and 2.15.0, both showed the same behaviour. I recognized this problem as i implemented a function, that should split all files in a specified directory, so a multiple usage of the main function. So the code itself works (generates the desired output). Is it maybe a problem with closing the files or alocating memory that is still in use?
I also build a GUI for the toolbox and therefore i use the package 'tcl/tk' (only for the case that the crash could have something to do with it).

I am realy thankfull for any help to fix this problem!

summarized:
- Win XP
- RGUI
- package 'raster'
- package 'tcl/tk'
- createting multiple files (and directories in case of the second tiling-function) with 'writeRaster()' (/'dir.create()')

Thanks in advance and best regards
Matthias Bösling