[R-sig-Geo] problem while creating netcdf files

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at pobox.com
Mon May 14 17:53:21 CEST 2012

Ana Sun, 13 May 2012 09:55:29 -0700 (PDT)
> I am creating netcdf files for climatic daily datasets for 50 years.
> The problem is that I end up with huge files when trying just one
> point, and I have 2000 more points to add. Am I doing something wrong

Yes. The first thing is, use package=ncdf4

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/ncdf4/index.html

(rather than the now-unsupported, and deprecated, package=ncdf) and try the example for nc_create in the ncdf4 manual

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/ncdf4/ncdf4.pdf

I'm using it for multilayered 459x299 grids (the North American
"AQMEII domain") that are < 1 GB.

HTH, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>