[R-sig-Geo] pattern simulation in R

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Sat May 12 02:31:27 CEST 2012

On 12/05/12 04:15, Wall, Wade A ERDC-RDE-CERL-IL wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know if there is a pattern generation function in R? I would like to generate different patterns (random, clumped, overdispersed) with different numbers of points, but have been unable to find (and have been unsuccessful in coding) a function to do this. This is related to the power analysis question, but thought I would put it in a separate thread.
>
> Thanks for any information.

There is a wide variety of pattern simulation functions in the
"spatstat" package
(which you appear to be using already).  Execute ?spatstat and then
scroll down
a little to "To simulate a random point pattern:" to see a list of the
possibilities.

I'm not sure what you mean by a pattern being "overdispersed".  Do you mean
exhibiting repulsion ("unusual regularity")?  This can be simulated
using the Strauss
process (via rmh() or rStrauss()) or the hardcore process (using
rmh()).  The
function rSSI() also simulates patterns with (a different version of)
hardcore
repulsion.

Clustered patterns can be simulated via, e.g. rThomas() and rMatClust().

"Random" (I presume you mean Poisson) patterns can be simulated using
rpoispp().

Is there some form of pattern generation that you want that is *not*
currently
provided by "spatstat"?

     cheers,

         Rolf Turner